A readers comment..and my reply..and the FAKE Steve Huff
Hello and Happy Monday to all! It is a beautiful morning here in Phoenix AZ and the sun is already shining! As always it has been pretty hectic in the e-mail department. Just recently I received an interesting e-mail that I felt I wanted to respond to HERE because honestly I disagreed with him entirely.
The E-Mail Message:
“Dear Steve, I used to visit your site frequently and spend much time reading your excellent camera reviews. For the past couple of months, however, the site has been full of “daily inspirations,” reports about workshops and your various trips — which for me, at least, are of little interest. And the reviews are coming far longer after the introduction of new photo products (and are often reduced to being “first looks” without detailed follow up). I find this a shame, as your site before was a joy to visit.”
1st of all, I am only ONE guy! I do not have a staff, I do not have any help. It’s just me 100%. Day in and out. Well, I do get help from all of you who submit your images, your stories and your thoughts. But as far as help here with the site itself or reviews, it is just me. Also, it is tough to please everyone all of the time but I will answer your concerns below:
1. Daily Inspirations have been around since day one of this site..and I slack and do not even post them daily like they were meant to be posted! So to complain about there being “Daily Inspirations” here is odd, as they have always been here.
2. Reviews – I am doing more now than ever in the review dept! I was the 1st in the world with a Sony NEX-5n review and that review had over 100,000 views on its first day. Crazy!! I have posted a few reviews recently (E-P3, Olympus 45 1.8, New Ricoh, Pentax Q) and these take me anywhere from 10-21 days to do. I’m only one guy so having a review every day is in no way not possible, and no other site does every day reviews either.
3. First looks – Whenever I have a “1st look” I always follow up with a review. There have been one or two occasions I can remember in over two years where I did not follow up but that was due to things out of my control.
5. Late reviews – Well, sadly, camera companies do NOT send me their new gear for review. The old timer sites whose traffic is falling gets the 1st looks but sites like mine and many others who are on the rise get nothing. Many times I have to buy what I review and that means I get it when you do. The only camera companies that send me gear to review is Leica and Ricoh and that is when I request something to review. With that said, I was 1st with the NEX 5n, 2nd with the Oly 45, 1st with the Fuji X100, and 1st with the Pentax Q. All recent reviews.
6. My trips and travel – Since I update this site every day (or do my best to do so) I will write when I travel or on the road. It is my blog, and since day one it has been a personal journey that turned into what it is today, sort of by accident! So when I travel, I share things with you guys. I share photos, comparisons, and whatever I come across while on the road. It’s either that or no updates at all and you can always choose to NOT read an update. 🙂 This site has also been quite personal at times, and it will continue to be the same way. Sometimes it helps ME when I can vent.
7. Workshops – These came to be from requests from the readers asking me to do them. I was hesitant to do these at 1st but they have been fun, successful, and it is so cool to travel and meet you guys, so why not do them? The Chicago one was fantastic! Again, you do not have to read about or attend these, but there are many out there that would like to!
At the end of the day I have been doing my best and working even more on this site than ever. The reviews of major cameras are longer and more detailed and as I said, I am doing more than ever (or at least the same). I have much more coming as well! Hope to see you back here and always remember, you do not have to read every post or look at daily inspirations! If it is only reviews you are interested in then check back every 3 weeks or so 🙂 Thank you for the e-mail, I appreciate them all even yours! BTW, site traffic is UP over the past few months and because I post something EVERY day does not mean I can post a new review EVERY day! That would just not be possible. Hope I addressed your questions and concerns and hope to see you here again.
The FAKE Steve Huff!?!? Does this mean I am famous? Lol…
So someone sent me a message through Facebook letting me know about FAKE STEVE HUFF on Twitter. You can check out that twitter feed here. When I 1st saw it I was wondering what was up with it…then I started reading his tweets. Hilarious and some of them had me laughing out loud.
Just know that this is NOT me but hey, it seems all in good fun. Besides, looked like he stopped tweeting in April. 🙂 Just thought it was kind of funny!