So I woke up this morning and checked my e-mail, checked and approved all comments awaiting moderation and then made my coffee. As I sat down at my cluttered desk I saw a comment pop in that I had to moderate. I put on some headphones, started jamming some music and started to get to work. Yep, listening to some music right now with some AKG 701’s and the sound of the music puts a smile on my face. This is good because sometimes I get some funny comments that some people would construe as negative. I get these things all the time these days, and today I decided to post one here because I felt the comment was entertaining to say the least.
So here is the comment that was posted in a Nikon V1 post from a couple weeks back:
1. No Grip
2. not particularly small considering sensor size
3. Crazy expensive.
4. lenses look cheaply made.
5 comes in pretty colours!
6. lack of buttons
7. smoothing used on raw output.
ps Nikon fanboy much?
I mean, now I am getting called a Nikon fanboy? I never get this fanboy nonsense. So I really enjoyed the V1 (and still am enjoying it) yet someone with a closed mind who never even shot with one decides I am a fanboy because damn! The V1 CANT BE GOOD! I mean look at the reasons above! I have been called a Leica fanboy, an Olympus fanboy and even a Sony fanboy. Now you can add Nikon to the list. 🙂 Guess I am just a CAMERA fanboy in general!
Also REMEMBER, my reviews are MY OPINIONS. I am not the final word and not everyone will like what I like. It’s almost like I am a movie reviewer. I remember in the 80’s I used to watch Siskel and Ebert and when Roger Ebert loved a movie I usually hated it. When Siskel liked one, I needed up liking it as well. My tastes were more in line with Siskel. So maybe I should hire on another reviewer and do dual reviews of each camera. Hmmmmm. Just remember, if I love a camera, you may hate it. BUT I do try to state facts and show actual real results from each camera, not just spew off a bunch of opinions. I feel backing up those opinions are important!
Anyway, this was my reply to the comment above:
1. There is a grip available, and not everyone needs a grip. I shoot my M9 without a grip and have for years.
2. It is smaller than the E-P3, and very solid. Feels the best of any mirrorless I have tried.
3. Not so, the E-P3 is $800, GX-1 $800 yet the $850 V1 is better made, faster AF, better high ISO, better OOC color, sharper, etc
4. Lenses are fine. They feel great and perform wonderfully. This is what surprised me the most. Built in VR as well.
5. Only black or white. White is not in the USA. So only black here.
6. Not so. I can control my Aperture and shutter speed and change ISO super quick.
7. Not so. I show examples at ISO 3200 and up with razor sharp details. No smoothing if you turn off NR in RAW processing and use ACR instead of Nikons software. Shoot RAW!
Funny, I am a Nikon fanboy now because I tell it like it is with ONE Nikon camera. Lol. Why don’t you try one sometime, the V1, not J1. Buy it and give it a whirl for a coupe of weeks. Have an open mind. Ill tell you this, I chose to keep the V1 over any other mirrorless. I use it daily. Fact.
So thats it! Just a small rant and still stand by my Nikon V1 thoughts. It is a fantastic camera system that delivers consistent results every time I use it.