Photokina is Coming. That means LOADS of new gear, and this year could be AWESOME!
2016 may be the year that I attend my very 1st Photokina! So far it is looking good, so my fingers are crossed. Yep, eight years running this review site and I have never physically made the journey to Cologne, Germany to see the spectacle that is PHOTOKINA.
This year though I am expecting BIG BIG things from Sony, Leica, Olympus, Fuji and others. I mean BIG deal kind of camera, lenses and gear.
I feel 2016 has been a slow, boring-ish year for new WOW FACTOR new releases but I think 2017 will have some items shipping that are just full of WOW. So if I do indeed go to this event, look out as I will be covering it here, my YouTube here and even with some Live Streams on my Facebook HERE.
I will keep everyone updated but even if I do not make it, I will still be covering ALL newsworthy releases from my office 😉 So, what do I feel is coming to Photokina this year? Just a few things that I feel are almost sure things…
- New Leica M – I think the new Leica M will be announced at Photokina this year. I also think it will be slimmer, have a unique hybrid RF and a new sensor that gives much more pop than the 240 did. It will be the most tech advanced M to date IMO and should be beuatiful. Now of course, I could be wrong but all signs, and mumblings are telling me this. I’d even say the new M will be the most desired digital M ever, and come in at a lower price than we are used to from Leica. Let’s hope. I also think Leica will release one or two other new things that will raise some eyebrows. But anytime there is a new M (Every three years) it gets exciting around the HUFF household 😉 Speaking of Leica, my MD review with Leica 28 Lux is coming..soon. BTW, I am 99.9% on the new M being announced at Photokina. Though I could be wrong!
- SONY GOES PRO? – I feel and think Sony has something big planned for Photokina. Sony likes to roll out small things like lenses before the big guns, and this year, I smell something pretty special. Hmmmm. Maybe the A9 pro? Pro build, sleeker design, dual mem cards, fastest AF to date, weather sealed, gorgeous new sensor, stunning low light abilities and video that any pro would drool over. Maybe a Sony version of the Hasselblad Medium Format X1d 50c? Hmmm. Maybe…maybe. Maybe a new RX100 redesign, maybe. I wish I did know, but if I did, I would never be able to tell you anyway. So it’s best I do not know, so I can speculate 😉
- FUJI GOES BIG? – I also think Fuji has something BIG planned for Photokina…maybe even something special. I do feel Fuji will have something that is just BAM, POW, and a surprise. Larger sensor…maybe larger than full frame. Right now Fuji has a solid lineup with the X Pro 2 and X-T2 and are going strong. What else could they release to WOW the camera world?
- OLYMPUS PRO MARK II? – E-M1 Mark II or E-M2, whatever they call it I think it will be unveiled and will be amazing. Olympus ALWAYS has new cutting edge features but I think this time Olympus needs to concentrate on their weaknesses, like low light capabilities, which is the M 4/3 soft spot. Other than that I see a very well made and solid redesigned sleeker body, a new sensor with their best IQ and speed to die for. I am 95% confident in an E-M1 MKII for Photokina.
- Nikon, Canon, Sigma – Nikon and Canon…I think a new mirrorless system will be introduced by either CANON or NIKON. I think Canon is more likely. While they have all held back on their mirrorless cameras over the years to protect their DSLR sales, the time has come for one of these giants to go to a serious mirrorless as only they can do. If not this year, DSLR sales will continue to decline year after year and they may be wondering what hit them by 2019
So I will update you all soon with details and if I will be covering this event FROM the event this year 😉
New Leica M body: the sound of music to their worldwide fan-club; especially if competitively priced
One wonders about the profile of a typical Leica owner? In search of the true Leica natural color rendition or simply appreciating European design engineered by specialists. No doubt some people prefer Leica simply because it caters for traditionalists; Leica the originators of the rangefinder concept. Leica cameras expanding in recent years and reaping rewards by staying faithful to their heritage. The Leica owner knows that the price becomes incidental in the medium-term when judged by the results which show what is possible to re-create beautiful images; even in monochrome!
Leica Q 50 Cron. Please.
Forget the chathedral. Submerge. Go to https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lommerzheim. Use a translator.
Do you predict the new M will surpass the SL on your list as best Leica to date?
I will have to wait and see. My biggest wish is slightly thinner body (supposedly is will be), same amazing battery as the 240, dual SD slots, and I am hopig for a hybrid EVF/RF, with an EVF wide just as impressive as the SL’s. If it does this, it will be a grand slam. As in, if we have a choice between good old RF or a GREAT EVF…wow. It will put an end to one issue…RF calibration. If the RF is off, switch to EVF until you have it calibrated. But I’d also like to see a nice clean implementation of the back buttons, as they did with the 240. I love the 240 but I feel this new M will have a sensor that has more pop as so many felt the M9 delivered more of a “Leica Look”. Looking forward for sure, and I will be there for sure as well to cover it!
I´ll be in the market for a new M with more megapixels, let´s say in the 36 mp range. What does your crystal ball say about the number of pixels coming with the new M?
When do you think, will sony present their next a7s camera? Waiting for price drop over here in europe to pick up a current body 😉 As Samyang announces an AF version of their 14 F/2.8 and 50 F/1.4 I am gearing towards this combo along with the a7sII for astro an available light.
When do you think, will sony present their next a7s camera? Waiting for price drop over here in europe to pick up a current body 😉 As Samyang announces an AF version of their 14 F/2.8 and %0 F/1.4 I am gearing towards this combo along with the a7sII for astro an available light.
I would love an ‘evil M’ from Leica. Same ergonomics with an evf instead of or in addition to a rangefinder patch.
While you are in Cologne, do not miss Cologne Cathedral. It is Germany’s #1 tourist attraction. An incredible structure and a great, if crowded place to photograph. Even better, see if you can join the tour of the attic of the Cathedral. Filled with 800 years of history.
Steve, i think you missed a very important one – the One for the Video: GH5
Im not big on video specific cameras – not my thing. But should be a solid release for those that do!
I hope you’re right with the new M … and … a new 50 Cron Asph !