With Photokina just around the corner in Cologne Germany many have been asking me what Leica has planned for the show. I soooooo wanted to go this year but couldn’t make it due to other obligations, but next time I AM going and will cover it live..in 2012 🙂 Until then I have some predictions, some vague but they are predictions nonetheless.
Some questions I have been getting lately:
“Steve, is Leica announcing an M10 at Photokina”?
“Steve, will the X2 be unveiled in Cologne”?
“Will Leica release a new R mount SLR this year”?
“Is it safe to buy an M9 or will there be an M9.2 at Photokina”?
Well, I do not know the answers to these questions with 100% certainty, and even if I did I could not spill the beans here!
I do know what MAY be coming as last night I gazed into my magical crystal ball, and I did see a new camera! Semi small (smaller than an M9 but larger than an X1) I think they will release this as an “in between” model. Something between the X1 and M9. Something that MAY take R lenses as well as other lenses. Could be good and maybe full frame. BUT BUT BUT, this one may be delayed a bit…
Also, the M9 is not going to be replaced by an M10 just yet. My crystal ball says an M10 would not be until 2012. At least 2012, probably 2013. BUT I also think they may be releasing something VERY special for M fans with deep pockets that hints at the future of the M line. Really deep pockets and really beautiful. Not what you would expect. Others have hinted at a Titanium M9 set with 35 1.4, hmmm, yes but there is something VERY special about this M9. Very cool.
I also think there will be a couple of new options for all of us Leica camera lovers who enjoy the current compact offering.
How about the D-Lux 5? Yep, I think that Leica will release the D-Lux 5 and if they were smart, they would already have these made and ready to ship by the end of the month. This will be a HOT seller, and I may take the plunge for this one myself. V-Lux 2 keeps popping into the ball as well.
So to be clear, my Crystal ball has seen the following for Photokina and Leica:
- An all new camera, possibly an R mount solution but maybe not. Maybe multiple lens compatible. Smaller than an M9, larger than X1. Basically a new made in Germany camera. Could my crystal ball be wrong? Sure, it has been in the past but its hitting at an 84% correct rate these days 🙂 – This one could possibly be delayed…for a year or so…
- The D-Lux 5!
- No M10, sorry but I did see something REALLY cool and expensive for M lovers, something very limited edition, very expensive, and with a hint of something Leica may do for a future M10 – ALL I CAN SAY! . I did not see an M9.2.
- The X1 is still the X1 but it looked different in the ball. Couldn’t make it out but looked like an X1, and was NOT an X2. More stealthy.
- A new V-Lux 2 – big lens zoom, small sensor. Made by Panasonic.
- I think Leica will now have a “trio” of made in Germany cameras and the D-Lux 5/V-Lux 20 which will be made by Panasonic in Japan. (again the EVIL camera may be delayed according to my new view in to the ball)
These are just my predictions so take it all as just that. Predictions. 🙂 We shall see soon enough!
[ad#Adsense Blog Sq Embed Image]