Just arrived! The Leica 28 Summaron Lens. A classic brought back to life.
Look what just arrived! The new Leica 28 Summaron Lens. While Leica sent this over as a review unit, they sent a brand new production lens in box and all, so we get to see how it is packaged, presented and delivered to those who order one. Before I write any further, you can read the details on this lens on the Leica Blog HERE. It is the smallest Leica lens in production, and being a semi wide angle 28mm and with an aperture of f/5.6, it is perfect for street shooters who like to zone focus.
This Leica 28 Summaron is not a new lens, but actually it is. Don’t be confused though. This lens was originally produced between 1955-1963 and believe me when I say that this lens has many who love and own the original. But with this new lens, it is basically Leica bringing back a classic into production, and it will, according to Leica, give us the same qualities as the classic version while not being an exact copy of the original. Yep, this is a SLIGHTLY new design MECHANICALLY but using the same optical formula as the original. So we get the same rendering and IQ.
I have tried the original a long while ago but do not remember details as I personally am not usually drawn to f/5.6 primes. But I have to admit, that when I took out the lens and attached it to my M-D, it was charming. So small, so compact, such a perfect jewel like build quality. I have tested almost every Leica lens in current production and a chunk of classics as well, but there is always that smile that pops on my face as I open up a new piece of Leica gear for the 1st time.
This lens is TINY with a jewel like build.
On the MD. The hood is larger than the lens! But so nice in feel.
Next to the Leica 28 Summilux f/1.4. Much larger than the f/5.6 Summaron.
Features of the 28 Summaron (From LeicaStoreMiami.Com)
- Optical design similar to the original Summaron 28mm f/5.6 lens
- Most compact M-Lens, with an overall length of about 3/4” (less than 2cm) is unobtrusive and ideal for street photography
- Provides unmistakable imaging signature which otherwise cannot be reproduced by digital means
- Through its combination of large depth of field, natural contrast, excellent rendition of details, and visible vignetting, the Summaron-M gives images a unique character, reminiscent of analog photography
- Combination of a clearly laid out depth of field scale and long focus throw allows precise and easy zone focusing
- Depth of field scale is colored in red
- Assembled by hand from top quality materials and finished in Silver Chrome
- Made in Germany and delivery scope includes metal lens hood and cap.
- The design and manufacturing process of the metal lens hood has been recreated to match the original Summaron lens . It is first machined from solid brass and then given its ultimate form by a turning and bending process.
I literally just received this moments ago, and only took ONE image with it. A snapshot throwaway but you know when you get a new lens, and you just HAVE to take a shot? Even if you are just sitting around the house? Lol, thats what I did. BUT I will be reviewing this lens in full, soon. On the MD and SL.
My one and only shot so far with this lens, on the MD. A snapshot throwaway but I had to snap at least ONE!
If you are interested in this lens, it comes in at a healthy $2495 and can be pre ordered from the highly recommended Leica dealers below! REVIEW SOON AS I CAN!
Ken Hansen – Email him at email@example.com